Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Funeral of Debra Atia Lynn

Born: January 3rd at 202am in Sheffeild, England 1951.
Died: January 18th at 323am in Hayward, California 2008 of breast cancer.

My mother had her mass yesterday at 1130am ( monday) at St. Mary of the Assumption in San Francisco.. Her mass was very beautiful and I had to haggle with the church to have certain music played.

As people were walking into the Church, you could hear Odette playing, softly, in the background. And after the mass was done, you heard The Boy Comes Home, played louder. Its was my mothers wish. Her mass was not filled with pomp and circumstance, just a few people spoke and recited their favorite passages from the Bible. I took a note from her and read it out loud. Here is that note:

Sarhari(my nicname),Michael and Albert,

A lot has happened in the last few months that your not going to understand. One of them being that I have decided to not seek treatment for this. The cancer came back and is riddled throughout my body and Dr. Safi doesnt think that there is anything that can be done other then live, be comfortable and prepare myself for death. In the time that you will find out, it will be too late and that was my wish. I know how hard headed you are and that you will worry yourself sick with this. Dont do that to yourself, your heart needs the break from the worring.

Please understand that I am not giving up, but have decided to pass away with the one thing that I can control with my health, and thats the choice to pass on my own terms, in my home with the ones I love ,with me. There is grace and winning in that. Please try to see it that way. I dont know what else to say about all of this, but that its my choice.

I want you to know how proud I am of you and your brother. You both have been wonderful children and have done right in your lives. There have been times that I wanted to strangle the both of you, but i'm glad that I didn't. ( at this I laughed cause she could have )

Please live your lives to the fullest knowing that you were loved beyond measure. I have not always done the things that you would understand, but as parents you both will see that I did what I had to do with what I had. Life has not been easy for any of our family, but we pulled through, cause we loved one another immensly. Please always remember that.

So in ending, and this no ending but a new begining, remember that I love you and that I am watching you. So dont be stupid or once the day comes we meet again, I will smack you silly. ( I laughed at this )

Please look after Albert, he will need you now, like you needed him when you two were growing up. Honor him as you have and remember he is your family, always.

Albert: Thank you for everything that you have given to my family. Your a blessing to us all and I thankful for every moment that we shared. Know that I love you and will always look over you.

I love you with all of my soul~ Mommy ( Atia ).

And I added to her vocally: Momma, I promise to always carry myself in your absence as I did in your presence and IF I am bad, turn the light on for me.

*****

That dear reader was my mother in a nutshell. Beautiful, funnier then hell, fiestier then a pit bull and had a heart of gold that was limitless. The women who took in a "homeless man" the woman who had a wild heart and a wild love affair with my Daddy, one withstood the test of her limited time, with grace, truth and a beautiful heart.

My Mother is my Hero..

Tu bisard doste dardi, Mother-jaan, tu bisard.

1 comment:

boobookitty said...

That was just so sweet of your mom. It brought a tear or two to my eye when I read that.